‘Byron Bay Beach’ by Rob Deutscher Under License CCBY2.0
– what is the significance of the beach to Australian identity?
– what do you understand by the ‘symbolic meaning’ of the beach?
– what does Fiske mean when he says the beach is a text?
– how do we ‘read’ the beach?
– According to Fiske what is the difference between nature, and the natural?
This week’s topic is Representation and Interpretation of texts.
For this week, we will be learning how to decode images using Semiotic theory.
Simple Explanation – Signs, Signifers, Signified
How images can cause controversy – what meanings might this image have for different audiences?
Equinox Campaign – an example of a complex image
This week’s blogging assignment:
-Locate an example of a complex image
-Discuss the denotation (what is there) and the connotation (what it means)
-Is it possible to read this image in more than one way?
Recommended reading – Semiotics for beginners