What makes you happy? Would you rate yourself as being happy?
Denmark has it all figured out!
Do you think they have the balance right?
– How has happiness become a business?
– how does happiness intersect with consumption?
Work Work Work Work Work Work
– What do you think of, when you think of work? (how does the idea of work shape society?)
– what is the cultural significance of work?
– how does technology enable work? What changes in work has it enabled?
– why is there not more resistance to work?
-what is the role of gender in relation to work?
– What is the protestant work ethic?
What do you expect/hope for from work?
Porn in Public?
Protest or Porn or Empowerment? Pornification of Popular Culture
Art or Porn?
Other types of ‘porn’:
Porn: Good for us?
Moral judgement about garbage?
Cult of tidying?
– how is waste part of the moral economy?
– consider the paradox of waste in regards to consumer culture?
– what waste do we feel responsible for?
– how is waste an index of taste?
(Turkle to 5.05)
The Attention Economy:
Extra Reading: Haraway’s Cyborg Manifesto
-how does technology influence our understanding of time?
– how have mobile phones changed us as humans?