What makes you happy? Would you rate yourself as being happy?
Denmark has it all figured out!
Do you think they have the balance right?
– How has happiness become a business?
– how does happiness intersect with consumption?
Work Work Work Work Work Work
– What do you think of, when you think of work? (how does the idea of work shape society?)
– what is the cultural significance of work?
– how does technology enable work? What changes in work has it enabled?
– why is there not more resistance to work?
-what is the role of gender in relation to work?
– What is the protestant work ethic?
What do you expect/hope for from work?
Porn in Public?
Protest or Porn or Empowerment? Pornification of Popular Culture
Art or Porn?
Other types of ‘porn’:
Porn: Good for us?
Moral judgement about garbage?
Cult of tidying?
– how is waste part of the moral economy?
– consider the paradox of waste in regards to consumer culture?
– what waste do we feel responsible for?
– how is waste an index of taste?
(Turkle to 5.05)
The Attention Economy:
Extra Reading: Haraway’s Cyborg Manifesto
-how does technology influence our understanding of time?
– how have mobile phones changed us as humans?
– What is the importance of travel? Is it important?
– What is the gaze, and how does it shape our travel encounters?
– How does tourism relate to the notion of departure?
-What is the difference between a traveler and a tourist? What does this say about value judgements?
– According to Boorstin, how has the notion of adventure changed, and how does the ‘pseudo-event’ come about?
– What is the distinction between the authentic and the inauthentic? Is Disneyland a ‘real’ place?
Academic writing: https://www.uow.edu.au/student/services/ld/students/index.html
Technology/ Online help: http://www.uow.edu.au/student/services/digitalliteracy/index.html
Australia Day – some useful links: