What makes you happy? Would you rate yourself as being happy?
Denmark has it all figured out!
Do you think they have the balance right?
– How has happiness become a business?
– how does happiness intersect with consumption?
Work Work Work Work Work Work
– What do you think of, when you think of work? (how does the idea of work shape society?)
– what is the cultural significance of work?
– how does technology enable work? What changes in work has it enabled?
– why is there not more resistance to work?
-what is the role of gender in relation to work?
– What is the protestant work ethic?
What do you expect/hope for from work?
Porn in Public?
Protest or Porn or Empowerment? Pornification of Popular Culture
Art or Porn?
Other types of ‘porn’:
Porn: Good for us?
Moral Panics – often related to the role of/concern about young people
Concerns about children and the media often linked to Stanley Cohen’s concept of ‘moral panic’.
Link to Krinsky’s Introduction to Moral panics.
Recent moral panics in Australia:
Wear it Purple/Gaybe Baby
*** I would suggest that each group fills in a Group Charter (on Moodle) to solidify your plans***
Check out our Moodle site for some more useful resources on giving presentations.
Group presentation on 1 media issue that you have researched, including the following:
-An overview of the issue and why it’s of significance
-An account of how the issue has been addressed with appropriate examples drawn from a range of media sources
-A discussion of what has been included or overlooked in the media presentation of this issue and how this might be addressed in theory or practice (Assignment 2: Group Presentation Sheet, Moodle).
So – what do we mean by a media issue? Something happening in the media (coverage) or something the media is doing (trends) … or something else?
Which media issue? How to choose?
– Could either work from choosing the topic that most interested you? Or something that’s happening in the media that you have followed with interest?
-media effects and anxieties about these
-content analysis and cultivation theories
-reading images – representation- semiotics-connotations
-ideology and interpretation
-ownership and control of the media
-the role of the mediated public sphere
-the concept of the moral panic