This week’s topic is Representation and Interpretation of texts.
For this week, we will be learning how to decode images using Semiotic theory.
Simple Explanation – Signs, Signifers, Signified
How images can cause controversy – what meanings might this image have for different audiences?
Equinox Campaign – an example of a complex image
ACTIVITY: In pairs, interpret one of these images as a practice for this week’s blog post:
This week’s blogging assignment:
-Locate an example of a complex image
-Discuss the denotation (what is there) and the connotation (what it means)
-Is it possible to read this image in more than one way?
Recommended reading – Semiotics for beginners
Time management and procrastination
The attention span myth?
Time management and procrastination – these apps could help
‘Byron Bay Beach’ by Rob Deutscher Under License CCBY2.0
– what is the significance of the beach to Australian identity?
– what do you understand by the ‘symbolic meaning’ of the beach?
– what does Fiske mean when he says the beach is a text?
– how do we ‘read’ the beach?
– According to Fiske what is the difference between nature, and the natural?