This week’s topic is Representation and Interpretation of texts.
For this week, we will be learning how to decode images using Semiotic theory.
Simple Explanation – Signs, Signifers, Signified
How images can cause controversy – what meanings might this image have for different audiences?
Equinox Campaign – an example of a complex image
ACTIVITY: In pairs, interpret one of these images as a practice for this week’s blog post:
This week’s blogging assignment:
-Locate an example of a complex image
-Discuss the denotation (what is there) and the connotation (what it means)
-Is it possible to read this image in more than one way?
Recommended reading – Semiotics for beginners
Time management and procrastination
The attention span myth?
Time management and procrastination – these apps could help
- Tips on Peer teaching
- Time to work shop your case studies
- Time to spend with Peer Teaching groups
- First 500 part of case study due in Moodle this WED 9/8/17, 5pm (upload link to your blog).
- You will not receive a grade until the final submission on 6/9/17 – but I will provide feedback for you to revise.
ACTIVITY – REPRESENTATION.
As I mentioned in the lecture, this week, Netflix has started the #FirsttimeIsawMe hashtag as a way to promote their series Dear White People.
Christopher Bell TED talk on female superhero merchandise.
What are your thoughts on this in relation to representation?
Do you think there is a responsibility of companies to represent characters equally?
TIPS ON PEER TEACHING
The main things I would suggest
- a variety of activities
- things you can do in small groups – and hopefully have students talk to one another – try to make it interactive.
- As you will see in the outline, feel free to bring handouts, show the class any visual material and have them discuss. At the end of each tutorial, come and see me if you need any handouts printed etc, and I can do this for you before class.
- LOOK AT THE COURSE OUTLINE – lots of resources with ideas! Here are a few more: